Arrival
Thus begins a Mother's Milking Hour
The Hour where supper has been had,
children have been tucked in,
and I (the mother) head to my post to
dutifully milk the family cow.
Not that anyone is forcing me.
This has been a long time dream of mine.
Is there anything more satisfying than
bringing in a warm bucket of frothy fresh milk?
Oh the things you can do with said milk:
yogurt, butter, ice cream, whipped cream,
kefir, soap...
the list goes on, and yes I plan to journal/share
each item I make in case you want to make
these things too.
But I suggest you read with caution, for you too may find
yourself dreaming of a beautiful caramel brown jersey
eating fresh grass in your back yard,
and buckets filled to the brim with sweet frothy milk
and layers of yellow cream settling on top for morning coffee
and midday butter.
I can't think of many things to top this experience for me.
perhaps I am a simpleton.
I will say though, that learning to milk a cow,
gain their trust, train them to suite your purpose...
is no easy task.
If I'm being honest though,
it's kind of been an uphill battle with this cow.
I've been pushed, stepped on, kicked, stomped on,
but I'm finding her likes and dislikes.
I'm learning to be gentle but firm.
I'm learning to be real quick getting out
from under her when she's feeling kicky and impatient.
I'm learning to climb fences real fast when my silly dog
comes behind me barking at her and I'm in her charging path ;)
Mostly... I'm learning a lot about God.
These quiet morning and evening milkings
that give my thinking brain a chance to wander
around about this amazing Creator
Who gave us things like sweet yellow cream
that turns in gorgeous yellow butter,
or the fact that even His gentlest
creature can become His most dangerous.
All of this, thus far, gives me more insight into Who He is
and while the journey is challenging
and my patience wears thin at times, I'm enjoying the ride :)
If you're interested in reading the ups and downs
of a mother of six, carving out
a homestead life with natural organic foods from the land,
well,
I'm your girl ;)
Welcome to A Mother's Milking Hour.
Comments
Post a Comment